Monday, October 12, 2015

Reading Plan

Rama places a flower crown on Sita's head
Image Source: Wikipedia

For my tentative reading plan, I had some things already in mind!
For week 7 we had the option of watching Peter Brook's Mahabharata, a film adaptation. We only had to watch the first half for that week, given the film is a good five hours long. I intend to watch the other two and a half hours for the remainder of the semester to get a good idea of the final half of the reading and get a more visual look. 

I have been looking through the reading options and I have also found another modern version of the Ramayana that has caught my attention. I really liked the version I read earlier in the semester by Narayan so I want to give this one a try. I'm sure I'll find it just as enjoyable and I think I'll just read that in its entirety.

I might also dabble in some stories about the gods and goddesses. This all depends on my attention span.


 

3 comments:

  1. Pita, I am so glad you want to give the Ramesh Menon book a try: he is a great writer, and he has been working hard on doing very modern, readable versions of all the great classics like Ramayana, Mahabharata, Bhagavata Purana (about Krishna). if you find you like his Ramayana, you might enjoy reading a week or two of his Krishna book! We have all the Menon books in Bizzell and on those Bizzell Kindles, and they are also very affordable books to buy on the Kindle too (I am so lucky that many of the good books for this class are very inexpensive Kindle books). I am really REALLY curious what I will learn from the reading choices people make in the second half of the semester. You are the first person to mention Menon, so that got my attention! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Professor Gibbs!
      Yeah! I've was looking through all the books I can get via Kindle because I really like that format. It works for me because it's convenient. And I get to keep them to read later if I like. So that 's a plus. I also saw another book that caught my interest. I believe it was by an author also named Narayan and was about Krishna's son (?). It was just released this year from what I read. That looked pretty cool also.

      Delete
  2. Hi, Pita!

    I also was really intrigued by the film version of the Mahabhrata! I am hoping to reward myself with it some weekend this semester or maybe over winter break. It is really cool that you're going back to better understand the Ramayana through the modern version. From what you and Laura have both shared, it sounds like it will be very interesting and helpful!

    ReplyDelete