Monday, August 24, 2015

Week 1 Storytelling: The Five Pigs

 Wikimedia.org


On Piggy Island, there lived a family of five pigs. They all lived in a tiny cottage on the outskirts of a grand forest, filled with Sequoya’s as tall as skyscrapers. One could even say they grazed the clouds above them. It was a beautiful and sunny Saturday afternoon. The oldest of the five went to the supermarket to buy food to prepare a gourmet dinner. Being in culinary school has its perks. And this pig loved to be the center of attention and show of her skills. The second oldest pig stayed at home, probably to oversee the cleaning and chores. This pig had a cleaning itch he could never quite scratch. Nothing was ever too tidy for him, ask anyone. The third oldest pig couldn’t wait for dinner and decided to have a bit of beef jerky in the meantime, but refused to share with his younger sibling, the fourth of the bunch, because he was immature and selfish. The way to his heart? Fill his belly with delicious treats and savory dishes. It’s not hard to guess that the eldest sibling was the apple of his eye, for she cooked and cooked and loved to spoil him. The fourth eldest, a kind and gentle soul, didn’t have anything in particular to win their affection. Content with the simplest things, it wasn’t hard to earn their affection. The youngest and fifth sibling pig had an adventurous streak and wandered away from home, crying because she couldn’t find her way back. Hours and hours this little one ventured in the setting sun amongst the giant foliage. Eventually, after crying “wee, wee, wee! I can’t find my way home”, she wandered back to the tiny cottage, safe and sound. And just in time for dinner! But, not without being scolded for causing such a scare.


Author's Note: 

Original Nursery Rhyme 

The Five Pigs

THIS pig went to market;
2. This pig stayed at home;
3. This pig had a bit of meat,
4. And this pig had none;
5. This pig said, "Wee, wee, wee!
I can't find my way home." 






For my first attempt at this kind of assignment I do hope I did somewhat well. I chose this nursery rhyme because it was one of the ones I was most familiar with. And, I 'm sure mostly everyone will have had at least heard this particular nursery rhyme during their infancy. Since it is so short in length and of course very vague, as a nursery rhyme should be, This rhyme first made its debut in 1728 in a work called "The Nurse's Song", but only the first line. Later on the rhyme in it's entirety was published in "The Famous Tommy Thumb's Little Story Book", which was published in London in approximately the year 1760. Since then, there have been different variations to the original rhyme which is still very popular today. I decided to  give these flat characters at least a little bit of dynamic and characteristics that might make them more endearing to the reader. And since there isn't much of an extensive plot I had to find away for it to keep its short and simple charm and have at least a little bit of a story line to follow. I really enjoyed working on this first attempt at storytelling and hope that my skills evolve and I learn how to better my writing skills and I learn to open my mind and most of all my imagination! 


Bibliography

Lang, Andrew, ed. The Nursery Rhyme Book. Vol. 1. 2008. 177. Print.











4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it really interesting that you did the story of the five little pigs because I also picked a nursery rhyme about pigs wearing wigs! I also liked your version of the story a lot, very creative and imaginative! The image you used was unique and different as well! You did a great job overall with this project! I look forward to reading more of your stories in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Pita!

    I really enjoyed your story. It was kind of humorous. It was ironic. For instance, how one of the pigs is a chef or how the other pig is a neat freak. Usually pigs are pretty messy. I also liked how simple your story was. You didn't any unneeded fluff or details, which I appreciate. It was clear and to the point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pita!
    My mom and Dad used to recite this nursery rhyme to me when I was younger for a year. Each time they would tell me the nursery rhyme at night my dad would remix it and add something different to the story. One thing that I think makes any story successful, is the amount of detail you put into your story. The more detail you have in a story, the more people are willing to pay attention to what they are reading because they can either relate to it or they can place themselves in that scene. I like how you described each one of the little pigs and still related it to the nursery rhyme. You made sure that people knew the difference between each one of the little pigs. I could put a place each one of the little pigs in a scene in my everyday life. Good job!

    ReplyDelete