Thursday, August 27, 2015

Indian Epics: An Overview

After reading through the information provided, I can honestly say I'm very intrigued to explore all the reading material and learn a lot more about all these stories. I initially wanted to enroll into a Mythology course, but this particular one was open so I figured it would be just as interesting, if not more. I don't really know much about Indian culture in great depth, even though I do have friends that share their experiences with me when they travel back home to India and I do naturally ask lots of questions, because it's in my nature. But, I can't pretend to know more than what is mostly general information pertaining to the culture. I love to read, it's like getting lost in a whole other world, and mythology in general is fascinating. I never thought to think outside the world of Greek Mythology so I think I will learn a lot from this course. The images are very unique and portray a rich and rustic look into the world of Indian epic tales.

The only character name that stood out to me from the overview of the reading assignments is Krishna. I am mainly only familiar with her from just general reading and such.
Image Source: Krishna in the Kauravas court

I have never taken a course that deals with just general mythology, although that was my intention prior to enrolling in Indian Epics  I wanted to get more of a background in it. As I stated previously, I mainly think of Greek mythology when I think about the words "epic" and "mythology".
Although I haven't seen many Indian films, there is one in particular that I do love watching. It may not count, mainly because it is a movie adaptation of Jane Austin's novel Pride and Prejudice. The move is called Bride and Prejudice starring Aishwarya Rai Bachchan. Essentially Austin's novel got the Bollywood treatment! It's very fun to see how a classic novel's plot can be changed up and made to fit the Bollywood style. 

I look forward to exploring a whole new word of material! 

No comments:

Post a Comment