Friday, August 28, 2015

Growth Mindset

After watching the growth mindset videos, I guess you could say I never knew that was an actual way of thinking and how much good it could do, based of the scientific facts I mean. And it makes sense, because now a days it is common for one to feel like a failure and beat ourselves up, many of us not being able to pick ourselves up after not achieving something we desire. I think I have in a sense begun to take on this form of thinking, but I never knew there was an actual name for this and the research involved in it. I used to be very hard on myself, especially in the academic sense. I would spend my time beating myself up instead of just assuming the challenge and bettering myself. But now, I have much more of a "get up and get it done" approach. Instead of just crying over spilled milk, as you would say, I would talk to myself, crazy as it sounds, and tell myself that it won't help anything. That I have to get up and if I want something, I have to "fight" for it. I hate to admit it, but I am not good at math. Well, rather that I don't like it very much, to put it lightly. And last semester I failed my Calc I course, and here I am retaking it again, but with a better and more positive mentality. I think that the Growth Mindset challenge that would help me out the most is the one that has to do with my other classes. I will attempt to maximize my efforts in every other class as well!


Here's my favorite meme that I've found thus far:
Image Source: Growth Mindset Meme

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I really admire your determination in re-facing Calculus! It takes a lot of wisdom and maturity to value your education over your pride. I have so much to learn from you!, especially in regards to the “get up and get it done” mindset. I am working on making a new routine for the year, so hopefully it will be as successful as you have been! Best of luck for a wonderful semester full of learning and growth!☺

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get where you're coming from. Last semester was very hard on me due to stress from working a full time job and trying to keep up with 12 hours last semester. I hate to admit it, but I dropped my first class because I thought I might not pass. This was a very low blow for me and I struggled with myself after this because I always take great pride in passing all my classes. However this semester, although I'm not taking the same class, I realized that being hard on myself wasn't going to solve any problems and I just needed to kick it back in gear and finish my last year of college!

    ReplyDelete