Monday, September 14, 2015

Week 3: Brainstorming Styles!

Topic: Well, for my storybook I figured since I was very enamored with the idea of interweaving the Patil twins from Harry Potter into the world of Indian Epics I would do my best to do so as smoothly as possible. Reading though some of the stories I found two that caught my attention and made me really think of ways I could successfully incorporate both worlds into some interesting tales. One was The Lord of Lanka: The Rise and Fall of a Demon King (Volume 541) . The other story is The Sons of Rama: Luv and Kush -- The Invincible Twins (Volume 503). Of course there are a plethora of stories that I can find with more research and as we go through the semesters' readings. I will attempt to find some more stories that are similar to those of the Potter books and focus on common themes. 

Bibliography:


Possible Styles:

Campfire Story: This approach is not something I would have thought of at first, but I would be pretty interesting to make one of the character's tell a great story to a younger generation around a campfire or something similar. I think a more modern twist to the story would be interesting.  Possibly a tale of a great battle between good and evil? 

Story from an Ancestor: Okay, now this is a little bit similar to the campfire story, but in this particular style it would most definitely have to be the main protagonist who tells a story to descendants a few generations down the line. I would probably have the tale be told only to reveal at the end to the younger characters that it was in fact their relative telling the story that was in the midst of it. 

Children as the Audience: This would be a great way to tackle this too! It could be a story geared towards children, most likely in the third person. I feel like I could have a lot of fun with this particular approach. I could probably also add some elements from popular Western children's tales. Maybe from the Grimm Bros. Fairy Tales. 

Diary (First Person Storyteller): With a diary approach, it would be easier to add a lot of detail and first hand emotion from the point of view of one of the characters in the story. A real opportunity to show personal emotion and let it all shine through, in the head of the storyteller. Although it would be very detailed, I think maybe this would be one of the easiest approaches for me to do. 


Sita, with her twins Luv and Kush
Image Source: Flickr



No comments:

Post a Comment